Today Quamby Homestead is set in 70 acres of farmland, but when originally gazetted in February 1849 it was approximately 25,000 acres. In 1853 it was sold to Paul de Castella, a Swiss vigneron who then went on to make his name in the Yarra Valley with Yering Station. It is believed the first house was built in the 1850’s, and located on the Croquet lawn.
William Lindsay purchased the property as a squatting lease in 1854, and the present homestead was commenced in 1888, taking two years for the foundations to be laid, and a further three years for the Homestead to be constructed!
The splendid botanic gardens of Quamby Homestead also have a strong history, having been designed as a private commission by William Guilfoyle (1840-1912), former curator and Director of the Melbourne Botanic Gardens (1874-1909). Guilfoyle was described as ‘the master of landscaping’. Find out more about Quamby Homestead and its history.
Converted to a Bed and Breakfast in 1985, Quamby Homestead is now also a working small farm with cattle and poultry, giving guests a flavour of rural life and country hospitality.